Wednesday, 16 December 2015

Michael Miller Challenge

I recently submitted my first quilt to QuiltCon.  It was for the Michael Miller Challenge.

The challenge was to use the new line of Glitz fabric somewhere in the quilt.  When you signed up, they sent you 1/8 yard cuts of some of the fabric.
This is what the fabric looked like.  I got the white and gold poka-dots and the black and gold "flowers". 

To be honest, the fabric isn't my favorite.  It took me a long while to figure out what I wanted to do. I decided that the gold dots looked like a fifties style skirt and decided I wanted a dancing lady in the quilt.  After looking online for inspiration, I decided to focus on dancing feet. 

The challenge allowed you to use solids with the fabric, so I decided to make a parquet floor for my dancers out of rail fence blocks. I quilted them to look like wood flooring.

The man's shoe was super fun.  I made laces out of solid fabric and used grommets to lace them.  I quilted the shoe with 12 wt thread to make it look like the stitching in a man's shoe.  For the lady, I kept the quilting simple, with a bit of thread painting to show shadows.

Here's the result!

No comments:

Post a Comment